*Note - Please be aware the Bossian's will be enjoying a two week Christmas shut down from 18th December. We'll endeavour to respond to all applications w/c 4th Jan. Thank you and have a great festive break.*
Welcome to Bossa! We’re an immensely talented, daring, multicultural team of individuals (or as we like to call ourselves - Bossians!), who create extraordinary games that millions of people love, play and share every day.
Chances are, you know us as that quirky, BAFTA-winning studio behind several critically acclaimed hits, many of which have become an integral part of gaming culture (Shhh… I doctor now!). These include Surgeon Simulator, I Am Bread, Hogwash, Monstermind, and the yet to be launched I Am Fish.
At the heart of Bossa’s unique way of working - whether that’s ideation, development or even marketing - is a genuine passion for connecting through humour, amongst our teams, with our players, and with all the influencers and creators around the world who regularly play Bossa games to their audiences.
We create together. We laugh together. We innovate together. We believe that’s the only way to build legacy and games that are truly fun and relevant to people’s lives.
So, are you ready to become part of our movement? Are you ready to be challenged to take your creativity to the next level? Are you ready to join Bossa and aid us in our ongoing pursuit to make millions of people happier every day?
Bossa is looking for a talented Senior Game Designer who’s passionate about multiplayer core mechanics and the emotions that can be shaped for people to experience while playing and having fun together.
If this sounds like an exciting opportunity, we may have just the game for you.
We recently launched Surgeon Simulator 2, a physics coop multiplayer game powered by a powerful UGC editor allowing players to drive the experience to new, uncharted territories using their creativity. But this is just the beginning of the Surgeon 2’s journey: next year we’re launching the game on Steam and consoles, thus we have the unique opportunity to work together with our existing players to create new play modes, improve core mechanics, evolve and transform the game into an even better version of itself.
If you like the idea of open game development and continually improving a live game, of devising and implementing a multiplayer roadmap alongside live players, and leading a successful game into new heights, we would love to meet you and hopefully welcome you as a member of our team.
- Vision - Devise, communicate and champion the expanded vision for the game, ensuring it remains true to its core throughout development.
- Feedback - Test and gather feedback from your players, helping shape the current and future features of the game into meaningful experiences.
- Mechanics - Create and improve mechanics and systems that open new gameplay horizons and emotional possibilities for the players.
- Collaboration - Collaborate with programmers, artists, producers, testers, and other roles within the team to ensure a multifaceted approach to the project's design factoring the needs of all areas of development.
- Problem solving - Proactively recognising design shortcomings or imbalances in the game, proposing intuitive, simple solutions.
- Ambassador - Evangelizing to other members of the project team and studio at large, helping them to visualise the end experience and emotions the game is meant to evoke.
- Business awareness - Understand the commercial, audience and production goals of the project and design within its parameters.
- Team - Being an active contributing member of our studio design team and along your peers, helping us raise the game design standards at the studio.
- Communication - Maintaining robust and frequent communications with the project team, your design peers and the team’s management.
- Documenting - Creating vision and technical design documentation for reference and briefing.
- Awareness - Maintaining up-to-date industry and market awareness, ensuring that your game remains relevant as a live product for the long run.
- Good design instincts attuned to the players you’re working with.
- An understanding of design mechanics and systems, as well as game direction and vision.
- An open mind with little regard for dogma, but appreciation for existent elegant design solutions to common problems.
- Awareness of past, current and future trends in game design and gameplay.
- Experience with short-term and long-term game loops.
- Experience with multiplayer games.
- Proven design track record on released PC and/or Console titles.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- A natural problem solver with a positive attitude.
- A fascination for finding new and better approaches to problems.
- An open and inclusive approach to design.
- You understand that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and you respect those around you.
- A drive to learn, improve and share.
- The ability to adapt to fluid situations, you know when to stick to the plan and when to put it to one side and try something different.
Great to have:
- Experience with live communities, such as MOD development, would be a great boost to the position.
- Experience interacting with player groups to gauge their aspirations and reception to ideas.
- Annual Holiday Allowance - 22 days, to increase 1 day after every year up to a maximum of 25 days. We also shut between Christmas & New Year on top of that allowance, to make sure everyone has a real break.
- Private Medical Insurance – Provided by Vitality
- Life Assurance – Tax free lump sum payment of 4 x annual salary
- Pension Scheme – We match up to 5%
- EMI Share Scheme - Generous lump sum of shares awarded upon joining which will vest over a 4 year period
- Flexible Working - Bossians now have the ability to work from home permanently if they'd prefer, and for those who still want that office environment the office is open and ready for them
- Supportive family policies - 6 months fully paid maternity leave and 3 months fully paid paternity leave
- Employee Assistance Programme - 24/7 Helpline
- Cyclescheme - up to £1,000 loan deducted from monthly salary over 12 month period
- Discounted gym membership
- Travel to Work Loan – Loan deducted from monthly salary over 10 or 12 month period
- Food - For those who wish to go in, free snacks, fruit and drinks in the office
- Social Events - We have fantastic company culture and loads of fun social events, lots of which are now happening digitally.