Welcome to Bossa! We’re an immensely talented, daring, multicultural team of individuals (or as we like to call ourselves - Bossians!), who create extraordinary games that millions of people love, play and share every day.
Chances are, you know us as that quirky, BAFTA-winning studio behind several critically acclaimed hits, many of which have become an integral part of gaming culture (Shhh… I doctor now!). These include Surgeon Simulator, I Am Bread, Hogwash, Monstermind, and the yet to be launched I Am Fish.
At the heart of Bossa’s unique way of working - whether that’s ideation, development or even marketing - is a genuine passion for connecting through humour, amongst our teams, with our players, and with all the influencers and creators around the world who regularly play Bossa games to their audiences.
We create together. We laugh together. We innovate together. We believe that’s the only way to build legacy and games that are truly fun and relevant to people’s lives.
So, are you ready to become part of our movement? Are you ready to be challenged to take your creativity to the next level? Are you ready to join Bossa and aid us in our ongoing pursuit to make millions of people happier every day?
If so, we might just have the perfect role for you..
Bossa Studios is recognised as one of the most creative game studios in the world, at times spawning entire new genres through its unique creative process involving all members of the team in monthly game jams. This is just one part of the puzzle, though -- we're still hard at work to become a better version of ourselves.
As part of our journey towards becoming one of the most successful video games makers, we're evolving and maturing our approach to game design and the types of games we’re working on.
We are currently looking for a Design Director who will help lead this effort and collaborate with our product teams, game designers, and other stakeholders to reach levels of award-winning excellence and create the next big hit.
You are a veteran games designer leader, with a proven track record of building game design teams to deliver critical and commercially successful games.
- Lead and own the studio's creative strategy and capabilities (including idea generation and all-company game jams)
- Leverage your knowledge of the games industry and player / market trends to help steer our teams through ideation, pre-production and production phases of our games
- Provide excellent creative and design leadership and judgement, and work with lead game designers to help set and execute the game vision and design strategies for our games
- Manage the studio’s game design team; including hiring, career path development, performance and pay reviews etc. Be a force multiplier for the game design team – helping to mentor, coach, stretch and inspire them.
- Create a learning environment in which the game design team members can evolve and share best practices.
- Be a part of the Senior Management team, helping to collectively contribute towards the studios strategy and future.
- Work closely with other key stakeholders (Art, Product, Production, Marketing, Publishing, etc.) in the business to ensure our game vision and design strategies are in alignment with commercial goals.
- Exceptional design judgement and instincts
- A comprehensive knowledge of the games industry and market / player trends – past and future
- A deep understanding of design mechanics and systems, as well as game direction and vision
- Excellent communication skills, including being able to articulate complex ideas to different audiences, and collaborating with the various studio leadership and teams
- Effective leadership, with an open and inclusive approach, and the ability to adjust based on team feedback and needs.
- An ability to coach and mentor lead and senior game designers so that they can grow and develop their skills and capabilities
- Growth mindset – the drive to seek out new information, new approaches, and the desire to learn and challenge your existing assumptions.
- The ability to oversee and influence the vision and style of multiple games in development.
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment, with a high degree of change.
- Able to contribute and work collectively with a senior management team, and represent art at a strategic level that is aligned with the studio's goals.
- A proven track record in leading teams to ship successful games
- Experience in all stages of game development cycles – from concept to live service
- Experience with free to play, multiplayer, and multi-platform
- Experience with multiple business and revenue models
- Proven experience in building, leading and coaching world-class game design teams.
- Annual Holiday Allowance - 22 days, to increase 1 day after every year up to a maximum of 25 days. We also shut between Christmas & New Year on top of that allowance, to make sure everyone has a real break.
- Private Medical Insurance – Provided by Vitality
- Life Assurance – Tax free lump sum payment of 4 x annual salary
- Pension Scheme – We match up to 5%
- EMI Share Scheme - Generous lump sum of shares awarded upon joining which will vest over a 4 year period
- Flexible Working - Bossians now have the ability to work from home permanently if they'd prefer, and for those who still want that office environment the office is open and ready for them
- Supportive family policies - 6 months fully paid maternity leave and 3 months fully paid paternity leave
- Employee Assistance Programme - 24/7 Helpline
- Cyclescheme - up to £1,000 loan deducted from monthly salary over 12 month period
- Discounted gym membership
- Travel to Work Loan – Loan deducted from monthly salary over 10 or 12 month period
- Food - For those who wish to go in, free snacks, fruit and drinks in the office
- Social Events - We have fantastic company culture and loads of fun social events, lots of which are now happening digitally.