Surgeon Simulator 2 is the multiplayer sequel to the multi-million selling viral hit Surgeon Simulator, the game that was an overnight sensation and kicked off the trend for clumsy simulators.
As part of the Surgeon Simulator 2 team you will be responsible for overseeing the ongoing level design for this exciting and innovative upcoming title. You will have a proven background in creating interesting and compelling level designs with a particular flare for the quirkier and out of the box side of game and level design.
You will be a seasoned level designer with a great track record, looking to make your next move up and take on a new challenge. Additionally you will be comfortable working in a dynamic and highly creative environment.
This is an exciting role in one of the industry’s most creative studios and the successful candidate will be right at the centre of development of Bossa’s most recognised IP and one of its biggest and most ambitious titles to date.
- Creation. Creating fun, clever, compelling levels for Surgeon Simulator 2
- Curation. Playing, evaluating, shortlisting individual and selections of other people’s levels for inclusion in the game
- Iteration. With both your own and other people’s levels; working with your peers and our community of playtesters to iterate levels to factor in any improvements that are identified
- Collaboration. Collaborating with programmers, artists, producers, QA, and other roles within the team to ensure a holistic understanding of the project and how to best leverage the game’s levels to play to our strengths and drive the overall game quality up
- Problem solving. Proactively recognising level design holes or imbalances and resolving them
- Team. Being an active contributing member of our studio design team and along with your peers helping us to increase the design quality of the studio
- Communication. Maintaining robust and frequent communications with the Surgeon Simulator 2 team, your design peers and team’s management
- Ambassador. Evangelizing to other members of the Surgeon Simulator 2 team and studio at large, helping them to see the goals and purpose of the levels and how they enhance and extend on the core design goals on the project
- Documenting. Creating any required level design documentation
- Awareness. Maintaining up to date industry and market awareness, ensuring the game’s levels remain competitive
- Deep understanding of level design, game design, balancing and difficulty curves
- Experience with physics and sandbox/systemic gameplay
- Strong narrative inclinations, you know how to tell a story through gameplay
- Good general design instincts
- A good general understanding of design mechanics and systems
- Awareness of past, current and future level design trends
- Experience with multiplayer games
- Proven design track record on released PC &/or Console titles
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- A natural problem solver
- A fascination for finding new and better approaches to problems
- An open and inclusive approach to design
- You understand that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts and you respect those around you
- A drive to learn, improve and share
- The ability to adapt to fluid situations, you know when to stick to the plan and when to put it to one side
- Annual Holiday Allowance - 22 days, to increase 1 day after every year up to a maximum of 25 days.
- Private Medical Insurance – Provided by Bupa
- Life Assurance – Tax free lump sum payment of 4 x annual salary
- Pension Scheme – We match up to 5%
- EMI Share Scheme - Generous lump sum of shares awarded upon joining which will vest over a 4 year period
- Flexible Working - Work from home days and flexible core hours 10.00-16.00 (standard hours 09.30-18.00)
- Supportive family policies - 6 months fully paid maternity leave and 3 months fully paid paternity leave
- Employee Assistance Programme - 24/7 Helpline
- Cyclescheme - up to £2,000 loan deducted from monthly salary over 12 month period
- Discounted gym membership
- Travel to Work Loan – Loan deducted from monthly salary over 10 or 12 month period
- Food - Free snacks, fruit and drinks
- Social Events - We have fantastic company culture and loads of fun social events
Bossa is leading a movement of creativity-first. We create together. We laugh together. We innovate together. But to excel at this we need folk from all corners of the world and walks of life. Our policy means that we are committed to diversity and inclusion beyond any legal minimums and all Bossians work together to create the ideal environment for making games and celebrating the diversity that requires.